If you’re a homeowner in Philadelphia looking for a durable and low-cost maintenance roof, you can’t go wrong with an asphalt roof. This roofing material is lightweight, strong, reliable, easy to install, inexpensive, and comes in a wide array of colors to complement virtually all types of architectural designs.
This article will discuss how long you can expect your asphalt roof to last and factors that affect the lifespan of your asphalt roof.
Asphalt Roofs Lifespan
While your roofing contractor will tell you that your asphalt roof will last for 25 or 30 years, you’re probably wondering if it can hold up that long. Well, the lifespan of asphalt roof mainly depends on shingles used:
- The three-tab shingles usually last between 15 and 20 years.
- The dimensional or architectural shingles have a lifespan of 20 to 30 years.
- Premium shingles can last between 25 and 40 years.
Factors That Affect How Long Your Asphalt Roof Lasts
Now that you know how long you should expect your asphalt roof to last, it’s time to learn about factors that can affect the lifespan:
- Proper Installation: Incorrect installation can shorten the life of your asphalt roof shingles. It’s, therefore, crucial to hire a local, professional contractor for quality installation and the use of correct roofing techniques — their expertise guarantees that your roof gets as close to the expected lifespan as possible.
- Proper Attic Ventilation: Adequate attic ventilation is essential to ensure your roof lasts long. An attic that isn’t correctly ventilated traps hot and cold air, which damages the roof and drastically shortens its life.
- Annual Roof Maintenance: All roofs wear and tear from weather conditions. However, extreme temperatures, wind, and falling debris can significantly reduce the lifespan of your roof. Scheduling professional maintenance regularly and emergency roof repair as needed ensures that you keep your roof in the best condition by avoiding debris that wets your roof at bay and identifying problems early enough before they cause irreversible damage.
Asphalt roofs are durable and may last for 15 to 40 years, depending on the type of shingles used and how you care and maintain it. Our team at Philly Roofing guarantees high-quality asphalt roof installation, repair, replacement, and maintenance in the Philadelphia area. Our workmanship ensures that your asphalt roof serves you right for the expected years.